For Brian’s birthday this year, I decided to make some special sunshine cupcakes. For those of you who don’t know, my pet name for him is Sunshine. Mainly, I call him this because he brightens my life…. and I like the ring of Sunshine better than some other cutesie names. Sorry if you just lost your appetite, but for those of you still hungry out there, these yummy cupcakes are fun to make and even more fun to eat.
I think I seriously had half a bag of watermelon sours, spoonfuls of frosting, some uncooked funfetti cake batter, and a test cupcake before we even started decorating these golden creations.
Decorating was a little harder after a few glasses of wine and some failed attempts at getting the water melon sours to stay on. I even tried sticking the candies to toothpicks ( I blame it on the sugar high). My friend quickly advised against this considering I did want people to live after eating the cupcakes. Good thing I have smart friends.
So with the murder cupcake out of my system, we finally wised up and stuck the cupcakes back in the fridge. The icing hardened some and made it easier for the candy to stay on.
The final product ta daaaaaa!
Most importantly, Brian had a wonderful birthday, celebrating with friends and eating some birthday cupcakes! Annnnd every one lived!
Sunshine Cupcake Recipe Time
- Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- Decorating time?: Well if you drink a few glasses of wine and invite your best friend over, estimated time is 3 hours
- Yield: 24 Servings
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) of funfetti cupcake mix cause it’s da bomb
- 2 cans (16 ounces) of cream cheese frosting
- Yellow and orange food coloring
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Twizzlers (pull and peel)
- Sour water melon candies…I’ve seen the cupcakes done with candy corn. But who likes gross candy corn?
- Eat most of the candy until your stomach starts to hurt…just make sure to leave enough for the cupcakes.
- Prepare cake batter mix according to package directions for cupcakes; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, tint frosting can yellow and the other can orange.
- Frost cupcakes.
- Place cupcakes in the fridge for about 10 minutes to let the icing harden at bit.
- Press two chocolate chips into each cupcake for eyes.
- For mouths, cut the Twizzlers into small pieces; bend slightly to curve.
- Cut the water melon sours in half. Frost them with the yellow frosting and then add around the edges of cupcakes.
Like this post? Well, you might like this one too: