Brian and I are close to embarking on our next adventure to Roatan, Honduras so I thought I would post a DIY project we worked on a while ago. We love displaying travel momentos including photos, artisan crafts and figures, and thought a map would be a great addition to further display our adventures. After searching around and looking at some maps online, I of course decided we should make our own.
Here’s what you’ll need to craft your own:
- Map-Bought mine at Barnes & Nobles
- Canvas-You can use ones all the same size like here or mix and match like I did
- Acrylic paint to cover the edges of the canvas
- Mod Podge
- Brush to paint on Mod Podge
- Ruler or we used a spare piece of wood from another project. Just need something so you can trace a straight line.
- Razor blade to cut the map quickly
- Pins to pin where you have been or maybe where you wanna go
- Optional: Curtain hanger from Ikea to display your photos and post cards
- Optional but highly recommended for any DIY project: Friend or Fiance’ to help you with the project
Total Cost: Estimated $60-$65 including the curtain hanger
We started by buying some different sized canvases from Michaels. I purchased ones that were on sale and used coupons as well. They sell them in packs like these, so it helps with the cost. We mostly had all the other materials for an assortment of art/diy projects.
Next I painted the canvases blue to match the deep blue ocean. Then Brian laid out the canvases, traced, and then cut the maps so it just covered the tops of the canvas. He used the piece of wood to line up with the traced marks and then quickly cut with a razor blade. You can also do this with scissors though. We did slightly cut off parts of countries (Sorry Greenland and tiny islands in the Pacific), but for the most part were able to capture most of the world.
Next we covered the canvases with Mod Podge and laid the map pieces on top. We waited for the maps to dry over night and then placed a top coat to further seal the map and give it a glossy sheen.
Lastly we hung the map on the wall and enjoyed pinning all the places we’ve been! We also bought this curtain wire from Ikea to hang all of post cards we’ve collected.
Check out some of our other DIY creations here!